Updated for Patch 5.2[Gear list has arrived!]
Monks were introduced in Mists of Pandaria as the 11th class of World of Warcraft. Monks are capable of performing the 3 basic roles: tanking, healing and damage dealing. This guide will focus on the healing specialization, the Mistweaver monk. I’ve made this quick to the point guide to give you the needed information without the hassle!
Please help improve the guide from corrections, additions, or alterations in the replies below.
|Table of Contents|
|2. Talents & Glyphs|
|3. Stats & Reforging|
|4. Enchants and Gemming|
|7. Appendix(Coming Soon)|
Talents and Glyphs
Lvl.15 – Mobility
Our choice: Celerity - Allows you to roll more often by reducing the cooldown and increasing the number of charges to 3 will inevitably give you ‘burst movement’. This talent is mandatory when using chi torpedo.
Lvl.30 - Chi-consuming abilities
Our choice: Chi Wave - 2 chi. 40 yd range. Instant. 8 sec cooldown.
For most situations, this is the talent you want to pick. It’s a smart heal and its throughput is reasonable but its cooldown limits its usefulness. Chi Burst is a viable alternative for more AOE healing intense fights.
Lvl.45 – Chi Generation
Our choice: Power Strikes - 20 sec cooldown.
With the recent changes to this talent, it will give you an average of 2250 MP5(roughly 200 above the others). It will always proc on the first tick of SM & CJL so be aware when the proc is up and available.
Lvl.60 – Crowd Control
Our choice: Charging Ox Wave - 30 sec cooldown
This tier really comes down to play-style especially now that Charging Ox Wave now has a shorter cooldown. Pick at your discretion.
Lvl.75 – Defensive Abilities
This comes down to what’s required for the fight you are on. Diffuse Magic is amazing for spell based abilities and helps for most encounters. Dampen Harm should only be used if know you are going to receive a large physical hit.
Lvl.90 – Oh.. What to choose out of the 3?
Our choice: Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger - 40 yd range. Instant. 3 min cooldown.
Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger is considered a guardian and as such he benefits from temporary stat increases and general damage increasing mechanics from raid encounters. He does not benefit from Tiger Power.
Although Xuen is considered a DPS cooldown, he interacts with Eminence healing and can be considered a viable healing cooldown over 45 secs. Having increased damage from raid mechanics will also net increased healing from Eminence.
Glyphs were changed in Mists of Pandaria to having a minor boost in performance but can also alter cosmetics of certain abilities. It truly comes down to the individual player & their preference. Below is what we recommend. Minor Glyphs are not worth mentioning.
[Glyph of Renewing Mist]– It gives your Renewing Mist the ability to spread over greater distances, giving the Mistweaver the ability to blanket heal the raid in general assuming melees and ranged are within at least a 40 yd range. You can remove this if you are wanting to focus ReM to hit certain groups(better for fights where you are spread out among the room.)
[Glyph of Spinning Crane Kick] - Allows some additional mobility whilst channeling SCK. This is great for fights where having a reduce in speed is more harmful then good.
[Glyph of Mana Tea] – This is considered the most important glyph since it ‘forces’ Mana Tea consumption into our priority list but reduces our mana tea consumption downtime by 50% if used with two stacks. Its value rises for encounters with a significant amount of movement or constant healing required.
Stats and Reforging
This is the short and sweet version of it. Use your ilvl and comfortability with regen to judge what stats to go for.
Above ilvl 489: Spirit until satisfactory mana regen. > 6,145 Haste > Intellect > Crit > Mastery > Haste
Enchants and Gemming
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak – Superior Intellect – Permanently enchants a cloak to increase Intellect by 180.
- Chest: Enchant Chest – Glorious Stats - Permanently enchants chest armor to increase all stats by 80
- (Alternative)Enchant Chest – Mighty Spirit - Permanently enchants chest armor to increase Spirit by 200.
- Bracers: Enchant Bracer – Super Intellect – Permanently enchants bracers to increase Intellect by 170.
- Gloves: Enchant Bracer – Greater Haste - Permanently enchants gloves to increase haste by 170.
- Boots: Enchant Boots – Pandaren’s Step - Permanently enchants a pair of boots to increase movement speed slightly and mastery by 140.
- (Alternative)Enchant Boots – Greater Haste - Permanently enchants a pair of boots to increase haste by 175. Requires a level 372 or higher item.
- Off-hand: Enchant Off-Hand – Major Intellect – Permanently enchants a shield or off-hand item to increase Intellect by 165.
- Main-hand: Enchant Weapon – Jade Spirit – Permanently enchants a melee weapon to sometimes increase your Intellect by 1,650 when healing or dealing damage with spells. If less than 25% of your mana remains when the effect is triggered, your Spirit will also increase by 750.
- Rings (Enchanter Only): Enchant Ring – Greater Intellect – Permanently enchants your ring to increase Intellect by 160.
- Yellow: Misty Wild Jade, Potent Vermilion Onyx
- Blue: Sparkling River’s Heart, Purified Imperial Amethyst
- Red: Brilliant Primordial Ruby
- Meta: Revitalizing Primal Diamond
Patch 5.2 Gear List
The Patch 5.2 gear list has arrived! I’ll make sure to edit this appropriately depending on how Heroic items fair out. This list applies to LFR, Normal and Thunderforged items!
- Helm: Hood of Smoldering Flesh
- Neck: Soul of Prism of Lei-Shen
- Shoulders: Spaulders of Dinomancy
- Cloak: Constantly Accelerating Cloak
- Chest: Robes of Concussive Shocks
- Bracers: Vampire Bat-Hide Bracers
- Gloves: Fire-Charm Handwraps
- Waist: Girdle of Night and Day
- Legs: Fire-Charm Legwraps
- Boots: Deeproot Treads
- Ring: Ring of the Shado-Pan Assault
- Ring (1): Durumu’s Captive Eyeball
- Trinket: Horridon’s Last Gasp
- Trinket (2): Lightning-Imbued Chalice
- Main-Hand: Torall, Rod of the Shattered Throne
- Off-Hand: Orb of Arcing Lightning
Here are a handful of addons that I recommend you try out. Make sure you keep these addons up-to-date so they work properly.
[3.6.2013] Revamped some of the stat priority’s. Included the required Haste for Patch 5.2.
[3.7.2013] Patch 5.2 Gear list has been added. Enjoy!