(Updated July 2,2012)
Hello folks! EGTactics here providing you with a guide focused on Demon Hunters.
Remember folks, this is only a recommendation guide and of course, your playstyle will differ from my own. Make sure to leave feedback in the comments below!
- (July 2) We’ve added another build introudced as Build(C).
- (June 25) Build(B) has been introduced to the Demon Hunter Guide. Enjoy if you like tank builds!
- (June 22) Introduced our first new build post Patch 1.0.3. Hope to add more this weekend!
- (June 21) Demon Hunter guide has been updated for Patch 1.0.3. Still researching heavily on a alternative build to Nether Tentacles.
- (June 20) Guide has been revamped with changes for 1.0.3.
Table of Contents
- Build (A)
- Build (B)
- Patch Discussions
- Stat Priority
- Normal – Nightmare
- Hell – Inferno
- Best-in-slot Gear List
Demon Hunters’ focus on ranged combat with limited melee-weapons leaving you exposed when you’re cornered or surrounded. Evasive skills like defensive rolls and jumps, as well as as slows on the enemy are just as important as any arrow that you let lose.
These are builds that have proven to be viable, each through 50+ hours of testing.
- Build (A) is only one alternative build from the Nether Tentacle focused spec and has proven to be efficient for those that aren’t stacking Act III/IV Inferno drops or gear.
- Cluster Arrow with Loaded Bear rune hits for a tremendous amount.
- Build (B) is a heavy discipline build and requires you to have more than your average gear (62-63ilvl pieces across the board)
- This build allows you to tank with the (Gloom) rune with Shadow Power.
- The Natalya’s 4pc set bonus is amazing for this build allowing you to spam Shadow Power with proper cooldown usage.
- Build (C) is focused on kiting and snaring your targets, allowing you to kite safely with good hatred regen.
- This build is low gear friendly(Fresh out of Hell players) should have no issue killing elites and scales very well in later acts through Act 2.
- I prefer the “Hooked Spines” rune for maximizing distance between you and your targets. You can switch to “Jagged Spikes” if you want a damage alternative.
Click images for direct links to view the builds!
Build (A): Build (B):
Balancing out Crit Chance and Damage is the new deal. With the nerf to attack speed(Bye glass cannon), getting items with a Mix of Dex/Vit and either Crit Chance(or) damage is vital for survivability. Our “Natalya’s set” is turning out to be more useful for a heavy survivability build.
Legendarys that stacked IAS with high amounts of dexterity are going to become more and more expensive as they are still decent once patch 1.0.4 hits.
Demon Hunter’s main stat priority needs to be focused on Dexterity. Dexterity is crucial for killing your enemy’s quick!
Now this is debatable for most but also comes down to personal playstyle. You want to find weapons with the most damage as “Demon Hunter” scales very well with high weapon damage.
This is a list that I’ve devised a list that suits me and is what I hope, will suit you.
- Dual 1Handers
Stat Priority (Normal -> Nightmare)
- Crit Chance
- Crit Damage
- Attack Speed
- Movement Speed
Stat Priority (Hell -> Inferno)
- Crit Chance (Balancing out Chance/Damage is vital as too much of either results in diminishing returns)
- Crit Damage (Balancing out Chance/Damage is vital as too much of either results in diminishing returns)
- Attack Speed
- Movement Speed
Best-in-slot Gear List
- This is what I’ve seen to be the most effective items for a Demon Hunter.
- Notice: Some of these items are 100% randomized, allowing us to not find a suitable link with most desirable stats.
- Edit: I don’t plan on updating this till the next big patch as it’ll require a bit of time.
- It’s important to get the most Dexterity out of the items below. Sockets are a bonus!
- Some of these legendarys are still good once Patch 1.0.4 comes out to fix the legendary I.A.S nerf.
Andariel’s Visage : Try and obtain the highest Dexterity without breaking your bank.
Exalted Grand Pallium – Get these crafted and hope you get item with a very high amount of Dexterity.
Beckon Sail – I personally find this item to be the best chest peice available to Demon Hunters. If you can get one with sockets, it will x2-x3 in value allowing you to throw in some high Dexterity gems!
Lacuni Prowlers – These appear to be the best legendary item having both Attack Speed and Movement speed which is 0.001% chance with just some randomized bracers.
Exalted Grand Sovereign Vambraces – Get these crafted and hope you get item with a high amount of Dexterity, attack speed is a bonus if able.
Illustrious Cupola - I’ve gotten a decent belt crafted from this recipe. It’ll take a couple tries to get a decent one but have faith.
Exalted Grand Sovereign Tassets – If you can manage to afford to make these, its definately worth the gamble.
Boj Anglers – These are amazing considering the level. Movement Speed, Attack Speed and a decent amount of Dexterity to boot(hah!). I highly recommend these as you will most likely be able snag these for a low amount of gold.
Amulets – These are just one of the many items that I can’t link due to randomization. I recommend getting anything with a high amount of dexterity with either(Attack Speed, + Crit damage, or any sockets).
Natalya’s Mark – If you can manage to snag one of these, I highly recommend it. These are usually stupid expensive and require either a bit of luck to get one to drop or buy.
Stone of Jordan - Following the previous versions, this item is a great for bouncing between your MF/grind set. Just like the Natalya’s Mark, these are more likely to be one of the most expensive items on the Auction House and require sheer luck to get.
Hellion Crossbow – Now this tier of crossbow drops in Act II-IV and beat legendarys out of the water. Anything reaching from (850-1600) damage is worth keeping and reselling. If you can afford one off the Auction House, it is huge upgrade from your Hell/Inferno Act I weapons.
Exalted Grand Doomcaster – These are another option but I personally don’t recommend it unless you have a high amount of cash flow. Crafting these for 171k per, you could manage to make a very high damage item but again, RNG is RNG. Try out your luck on crafting one of these.